Experiment: players contest on a saved game

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
User avatar
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:42 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 439 times

Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by David »

Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Rules of the experimental gameplay:
1) Several players download the same saved game, which could be a saved game uploaded by a player and could be a game that the player has played for a certain period of time.

In this example, I have uploaded a saved game sent by Inarius to CapLabSave FTP. The file name is INAR_003.RAR saved using version 1.901

To login CapLabSave FTP, access the same FTP, but use the login name "caplabsave" instead. The password is the same as the old you used for logging in as CapLabBeta.

FTP: enlight.exavault.com
Username: caplabsave


2) All interested players may download the saved game.

3) The person who posted the saved game will also post the contest rules.

In this example, the contest rules are:
a) Play the game until 2050
b) Upload your saved games at 2050 to "Contest Saved Games\Upload" folder.
c) Post your game score and saved game file name here at this thread.
d) Every player can download and check every other player's saved game.
e) The player who got the highest game score wins the contest.



Any suggestions are welcome.
Inarius
Level 4 user
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by Inarius »

Well, my savegame is not very interesting, because it's only the beginning !

But it's quite an idea., why not.
User avatar
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:42 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 439 times

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by David »

Would all of you be interested in this experimental contest too?

Please leave a word here if you are joining.

If the experimental contest turns out to be fun, we can organize new ones. Eventually, we will look at possibilities of implementing something to automate the process, like competitive scores display - i.e. uploading your score to the server and the server showing scores of competing players to you. This may end up creating a more intensive experience of competition among players, which will make it more fun to play the game.

As for the deadline of the current game contest, let's set it to next Monday. In other words, those who joined will have to announce their scores and upload their saved games before by end of next Monday.
Inarius
Level 4 user
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by Inarius »

Wait for other players first. If I am alone competing with myself with my own savegame, I think i will win...

EDIT : Well, and more generally, it's still closed beta. I think we should all focus more on testing than playing. If we begin contests, we will perhaps play mostly on a part on a game, and not test really. This kind of game and contests are fun, but perhaps you should wait until opened beta ?
mwyeoh
Level 6 user
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 am

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by mwyeoh »

I agree with Inarius in this for the time being.
Once beta is in a later phase, we can start working on script editing, competitions, leader boards, etc

However, in this regards, I believe the system Tropico 4 has would be quite successful for Capitalism- check it out if you are able, or I can post some screenshots if you prefer
baz
Level 4 user
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:50 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by baz »

I like the idea, but I agree with the other two posts above for the same reasons.
User avatar
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:42 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 439 times

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by David »

Hi mwyeoh, in the saved game I got from you, I saw that you are making substantial profits from your expertise product class (home appliances) in your saved game. It would be interesting to see your strategy of expanding to other industries as you continue to play the game, which may mean more head-on competition with the AI.

Your R&D on automobile makes sense too, as the market has no AI presence yet.

And you have set a lofty goal for yourself --- $1 billion in profit by 2020.

We think that it would be even more fun to have several players playing the same game and see who reached the goal first, as discussed on this thread.

In fact, this will be one of the major development direction of Cap Lab going forward. Any suggestions on this are welcome.


As a small step of the experiment, I have just run your game for 5 years without doing anything and saved the game for your download at the following link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55922631/MATH_006.rar


This is mainly an experiment to see if players find viewing and analyzing saved games as an entertaining experience. For myself, I have fun looking at your saved games. Please let me know your thoughts here, and I will continue to follow up on this topic.
User avatar
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:42 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 439 times

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by David »

mwyeoh wrote:I agree with Inarius in this for the time being.
Once beta is in a later phase, we can start working on script editing, competitions, leader boards, etc

However, in this regards, I believe the system Tropico 4 has would be quite successful for Capitalism- check it out if you are able, or I can post some screenshots if you prefer

Sounds good, please do post some screenshots.
mwyeoh
Level 6 user
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 am

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by mwyeoh »

David wrote:
mwyeoh wrote:I agree with Inarius in this for the time being.
Once beta is in a later phase, we can start working on script editing, competitions, leader boards, etc

However, in this regards, I believe the system Tropico 4 has would be quite successful for Capitalism- check it out if you are able, or I can post some screenshots if you prefer

Sounds good, please do post some screenshots.
Hmm, cleverly, the game will not allow me to take screenshots of the menus.
When I try it, takes screenshots of what is behind the game (Windows explorer, the desktop, Internet explorer, etc)
mwyeoh
Level 6 user
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 am

Re: Experiment: players contest on a saved game

Post by mwyeoh »

David wrote: As a small step of the experiment, I have just run your game for 5 years without doing anything and saved the game for your download at the following link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55922631/MATH_006.rar

This is mainly an experiment to see if players find viewing and analyzing saved games as an entertaining experience. For myself, I have fun looking at your saved games. Please let me know your thoughts here, and I will continue to follow up on this topic.
When you said without do anything, you weren't kidding!!!
A couple of my mines are exhausted and all my production has stopped! I will take on your challenge!!!
Post Reply