Make parks removable and relocatable.

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here

Would you like the ability to remove and relocate parks?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 8

Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

Make parks removable and relocatable.

Post by Maelstrom Vortex »

Just noticed in my current playthrough as a mayor that once a 1x1 park has been placed it cannot be removed or relocated. I don't see why this isn't possible like the other firms. Please make this viable to improve city customization.
Zeke_Bohansen
Level 2 user

Re: Make parks removable and relocatable.

Post by Zeke_Bohansen »

They should be removable, but not relocatable. You would bulldoze it and build a new one.
Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

I can appreciate the feel for it to be like in reality where we must bull doze and then rebuild. But for the sake of user friendliness simply relocating, a drag and a drop.. is more user friendly, saves on steps, possibly saves on processing, and the cost of destroy rebuild can be emulated by simply having that be the cost of relocation. How does that sentiment appeal to you?

In reality, you can't simply relocate a firm either, but that is how we handle firm movement in this game. I do not see why we should deviate from that standard for parks. It'd likely confuse users not in on this conversation as to why it would be done differently.

However the option to out right destroy the parks, would also be useful.
Zeke_Bohansen
Level 2 user

Post by Zeke_Bohansen »

I see your point. Factory duplication is very handy.

But a park is different, you are after government property.
You are the evil corporation trying to take a park away from the people.

There should be a huge cost to you. A big permit fee for starters, costs of buying and building the new
park. Maybe you have to buy and fund a sports facility for the community or pay extra taxes for xx years.

Costs could vary city to city. In US cities you could bulldoze at any park at any time with minimal
cost. In Europe it would be possible, but slow and very expensive.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Any suggestions for the interface for relocating or bulldozing parks?
Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

I would use the exact same interface that is used for relocating firms. After all, a park is simply another firm with a different purpose than typical agencies within a city. If you want to really dig into parks David you might consider amusement parks and having them even act like some commercial buildings with fees and rates and a QOL impact on the city. But if you want to keep it simple like it is now, just use the 4 way arrow button like you have on the other buildings and charge a cost for relocation just like with other firms.. you could literally re-use most of the same code for a near identical process. That's how I would do it as users are already familiar with how to relocate firms so when they click on the park, see the same iconography.. they'll understand what that means more readily and without much additional explanation.. KISS.. best method to deploy, use what is already known. Bulldozer icon could be used to remove entirely. They almost explain themselves just by the symbols that they are.
Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

Zeke_Bohansen wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:54 am I see your point. Factory duplication is very handy.

But a park is different, you are after government property.
You are the evil corporation trying to take a park away from the people.

There should be a huge cost to you. A big permit fee for starters, costs of buying and building the new
park. Maybe you have to buy and fund a sports facility for the community or pay extra taxes for xx years.

Costs could vary city to city. In US cities you could bulldoze at any park at any time with minimal
cost. In Europe it would be possible, but slow and very expensive.
Well, yes.. some corps may have nefarious purposes.. sometimes other mayors just place parks poorly and the intent isn't to deprive people of a park, but put it somewhere that the land is made better use of. Intent is not always infernal. But you are right, people in the immediate vicinity of a park would likely object as people hate change. So I could see it having a hefty price tag compared to the initial placement cost.. say a factor of 10 greater.. or.. if David wanted to get clever with the coding you calculate the impact it would have on Quality of Life and use that to determine how big of a cost you have to pay to relocate the part.

Lets say you are a good mayor.. you take into account your people's needs and build a park or two nearby in more suitable locations. Removing the old park no longer has a huge QOL impact. This allows you to remove it at a lower cost because people aren't going to be upset. You then restructure the city's layout as you need and boom.. beautification allowed, citizens kept happy, and you don't break your wallet entirely. But it all depends on how complicated or how simplified the sim is desired to be, but it does make more sense to make more beloved parks harder to move.. and this game surprisingly does have a way to somewhat tabulate how beloved they are by how much need they settle.
Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

David wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:09 am Any suggestions for the interface for relocating or bulldozing parks?
I got creative with paint. Here's a rough idea of what was in my head. First, you would need to make parks selectable like landmarks.. and then.. have them have something like this (which would also be useful for landmarks) just make sure that if you get the landmarks a destroy button they are re-added to placeables so people don't permanently lose their landmarks by accidental clicks.. or simply put it under the relocate menu like you do for other firms so there's an added layer of confirmation for a removal...
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (2.1 MiB) Viewed 681 times
I am for a very high price tag on moving landmarks.. for all the obvious reasons of the minutia involved of preserving landmarks in transit. Couldn't find a reasonable bulldozer icon for the menu item, but a simple text button works just as well, or you could use the same interface you use for firms with a couple options removed. Lot of potential ways to implement. Dev's choice really.
Zeke_Bohansen
Level 2 user

Post by Zeke_Bohansen »

How about something like this ?

Cap lab parks.jpg
Cap lab parks.jpg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

Zeke_Bohansen wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:43 am How about something like this ?

Cap lab parks.jpg
A bit more complicated than what I had in mind, but I could easily get behind this just as well. Pricings seem reasonable. I think it also depends on the size of the park though.. can't replace a 1x1 with a library for instance but that can be handled by a sorting code if you just give options that will fit in the footprint only.