Necessity impact on Demand
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:23 pm
I'm currently working on a MOD (that I intend to share on this forum in the future) and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on how the Necessity Index value (Product_Types.dbf) effects product demand.
I understand demand works as follows: A demand of 10 would indicates a typical consumer would purchase 10 units annually. If the Price column for said product was $5 you could expect a consumer to spend $50 annually on the product (10 units X $5). I appreciate this is simplified as the PRICE column reflects the maximum price before it negatively impacts the product rating, often prices will be below this level - but you get the gist.
Where I'm unclear is how Necessity Index impacts Demand. The description in the Advanced Modding resource states: The necessity index of the product. Enter a value from 0 to 10 here and it will automatically be multiplied by 10 to become 0 to 100 in the game.
Is the Necessity Index simply a representation of a percentage of a cities population who will purchase said product? For example - In a city with a population of 1M people, a product with a necessity index of 50% would result in approximately 500K consumers for this particular product.
Does real wage rate act as an additional modifier? For example - a city with a lower wage rate will more likely focus purchasing items on with a high necessity index? The description under Enhanced Macroeconomic Simulation http://www.capitalismlab.com/enhanced-m ... ation.html seems to indicate this.
If I'm on the right path I see it working as:
((City Population x Necessity Index) x Real wage modifier) x Product Demand = potential items sold annually
Using numbers from above examples, and a city real wage of 65 would result as such:
1M x %50 = 500000 potential consumers
500000 x .65 = 325000 potential consumers after adjusting for Real Wage
325000 x 10 = 3.25M items of said product sold annually
I appreciate other factors will result in further reducing actual demand (competition, price etc) - I'm just trying how they roughly impact each other. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I understand demand works as follows: A demand of 10 would indicates a typical consumer would purchase 10 units annually. If the Price column for said product was $5 you could expect a consumer to spend $50 annually on the product (10 units X $5). I appreciate this is simplified as the PRICE column reflects the maximum price before it negatively impacts the product rating, often prices will be below this level - but you get the gist.
Where I'm unclear is how Necessity Index impacts Demand. The description in the Advanced Modding resource states: The necessity index of the product. Enter a value from 0 to 10 here and it will automatically be multiplied by 10 to become 0 to 100 in the game.
Is the Necessity Index simply a representation of a percentage of a cities population who will purchase said product? For example - In a city with a population of 1M people, a product with a necessity index of 50% would result in approximately 500K consumers for this particular product.
Does real wage rate act as an additional modifier? For example - a city with a lower wage rate will more likely focus purchasing items on with a high necessity index? The description under Enhanced Macroeconomic Simulation http://www.capitalismlab.com/enhanced-m ... ation.html seems to indicate this.
If I'm on the right path I see it working as:
((City Population x Necessity Index) x Real wage modifier) x Product Demand = potential items sold annually
Using numbers from above examples, and a city real wage of 65 would result as such:
1M x %50 = 500000 potential consumers
500000 x .65 = 325000 potential consumers after adjusting for Real Wage
325000 x 10 = 3.25M items of said product sold annually
I appreciate other factors will result in further reducing actual demand (competition, price etc) - I'm just trying how they roughly impact each other. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.