Growing the overall economy
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:17 pm
In Capitalism Labs, a lot of people have noticed stagnant or declining population over time. That is because population will decrease if there aren't enough apartments or office space to rent. In my recent game, I was able to grow the populations of each and every city (though slowly) by building apartments or offices if I ever found demand to be higher than supply. In my fastest growing city which was the one with the lowest wages (and therefore where I did the majority of manufacturing), I had to build more than 20 apartments to meet supply! Needless to say this was only possible after I had started making good profits, but I didn't build them all at once. I would build one apartment and wait for it to fill up after establishing my first product line. As I expanded to more products and profits started rolling in, I would increase my apartment and office construction similarly. Apartments are actually a pretty stable source of income once occupancy fills up, though the return on capital probably can't match that of your product lines. I never built community facilities at all, but would build retail around some of my apartment buildings thus adding to their attractiveness and increasing their value while also generating demand.
The human player is actually a huge factor in the Capitalism Labs economy, maybe too much, but if you want a growing population, you need to make sure there is ample housing available. In the cities where I was slow to build housing (due to lack of money or money better used elsewhere) I noticed that there was a slight decrease in population even though the economy was booming at the time.
One last thing, I also try to build retail stores without demolishing residential housing as much as possible. Even if it means 10-20 traffic points. Those points can always go up (due to population growth around the store and traffic bonuses for specialty stores) but if you are demolishing a lot of housing without building any, then that will eventually do you more harm than good in the long run as population decreases along with demand. I've also read that demolishing lots of housing will hurt your brand rating. I hope this post helps those of you who are confused as to why population is decreasing despite a booming economy and rising wages.
The human player is actually a huge factor in the Capitalism Labs economy, maybe too much, but if you want a growing population, you need to make sure there is ample housing available. In the cities where I was slow to build housing (due to lack of money or money better used elsewhere) I noticed that there was a slight decrease in population even though the economy was booming at the time.
One last thing, I also try to build retail stores without demolishing residential housing as much as possible. Even if it means 10-20 traffic points. Those points can always go up (due to population growth around the store and traffic bonuses for specialty stores) but if you are demolishing a lot of housing without building any, then that will eventually do you more harm than good in the long run as population decreases along with demand. I've also read that demolishing lots of housing will hurt your brand rating. I hope this post helps those of you who are confused as to why population is decreasing despite a booming economy and rising wages.