Few things to note

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
Inarius
Level 4 user

Re: Few things to note

Post by Inarius »

A last thing. R&D seems to decrease over time, however does it work also for AI ?

I am always doing the 10 years research for my products, since the first day. However there are still company who have a better R&D than me. How that is possible ?
What make me thinks it's a real bug is that when i look to the detail of the company, i see that the "top tech" is still me (103, here) even if the tech displayed is better than mine.
Attachments
bug2.jpg
bug2.jpg (51.22 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Inarius
Level 4 user

Post by Inarius »

another thing :

when the R&D comes to an end, I never reach the level i should.

The target tech was 555 when i launch the R&D, and i got only to 205. Is it normal ?
I think that the option "R&D decay" reduces both my current level AND the targeted level.

I really think, also that the R&D decay doesn't affect AI. Can you verify ?
Thanks.
Last edited by Inarius on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

I havent played with the technology disruption option yet, but I have seen the maximum R&D level bug. I think it could be a latency issue, as for me atleast- it went away by itself later- But I will have to play closer attention to this and report what I see.

As for maximum technology levels however, I believe seaports are not affected by this, as their quality stays the same even though I have researched a new tech level and local producer quality drops
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

You may check out this page about technology disruption: http://www.capitalismlab.com/technology-disruption.html

If there are any aspects of it is unclear or confusion, you may post your thoughts here, and we will try to add more details to the web page to explain the concept more clearly.
Inarius
Level 4 user

Post by Inarius »

I have no problem with R&D disruption. It's a very good idea, i think.

But i am under the impression that it doesn't affect the AI. I will check this this evening.
And secondly i would also like that it doesn't affect your current research.

It's okay to loose 10% each year, but if you launch a 10 years research for a goal of 555, you will reach 193. R&D is already VERY costly, especially if you add the tech disruption in account, reaching 100 needs a 3x3 R&D center entirely affected to this.

At last, R&D disruption gives you a limit to max R&D level and very soon.
If you (I don't remember, but I imagine) gain 400 for a 10 years R&D.
First round, are at 0, you target 400.
After 10 years, you reach 139. (400*0.9^10)
Then your next target in 10 years is 539
After 10 years your level is 49 (139 disrupted) and you reach 188.
Your next target is 588
After 10 years your level is 66, and you reach 205.
Your next target is 605
After 10 years your level is 71, and you reach 211.
Next target at 611
After 10 years your level is 74, and you reach 213.
Next target at 613
After 10 years your level is 74, and you reach 214.

You see ? R&D with BOTH disruption on current level and targeted level makes R&D nearly useless, or just good to maintain...after 20 or 30 years, it's impossible to progress.
Two ways : Or you makes R&D effect much stronger (and also its value), or you correct this effect.

What you can make is give progression of 400 (400 is a pure theorically number), but on the disrupted R&D.
Here, after 10 years you reach 139, after 10 years more your level is 49 (139 disrupted after 10 years), but you level reached will be 449, not 188.

I understand the fact that even research can become obsolescent but if you don't adapt it and doesn't make R&D more useful, it becomes useless and too costly.

And please, make disruption on AI :)
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

I agree with some of the points there.
The other problem with technology disruption at the moment is that it affects those with a higher technology MUCH more than those with a lower techrate.

I think it would be better if all technology for everyone (including seaports) was downgraded by the same amount every year.
This could be based on the top level for each tech, and the number reduced to 5%
Eg- At the beginning, everyone would suffer a 5 point decrease in all techs to begin with. However, when the top tech is 200, EVERYONE would lose 10% and at 400%, everyone would lose 20% (To a minimum of 0% ofcourse)
Inarius
Level 4 user

Post by Inarius »

It's quite a good idea.

Tech obsolescence would not be related to time, but to the other technology. That's much more accurate than the present system. Every 100 points progression of the top tech, everybody would loose XX% (including top tech) due to "obsolescence".

If nobody makes research in a particular product, why disrupt it ?
David

Post by David »

But i am under the impression that it doesn't affect the AI. I will check this this evening.
The game is using the same code for the player tech and AI tech and it should affect AI. If you find otherwise, please send me the saved game for debugging.
David

Post by David »

mwyeoh wrote:I agree with some of the points there.
The other problem with technology disruption at the moment is that it affects those with a higher technology MUCH more than those with a lower techrate.
The original intention of this design is to enable companies with lower tech to have a chance to catch up. Otherwise, it is very difficult for new companies to close the gap with the leading ones.
I think it would be better if all technology for everyone (including seaports) was downgraded by the same amount every year.
This could be based on the top level for each tech, and the number reduced to 5%
Eg- At the beginning, everyone would suffer a 5 point decrease in all techs to begin with. However, when the top tech is 200, EVERYONE would lose 10% and at 400%, everyone would lose 20% (To a minimum of 0% ofcourse)
I may not understand your idea above completely. What did you mean with "400%"? Could you please elaborate?
David

Post by David »

Inarius wrote:It's quite a good idea.

Tech obsolescence would not be related to time, but to the other technology. That's much more accurate than the present system. Every 100 points progression of the top tech, everybody would loose XX% (including top tech) due to "obsolescence".

If nobody makes research in a particular product, why disrupt it ?
Actually, there are always local competitors in every industry.