Page 2 of 2

Re: Silica and Chemical Mineral mines land prices too expens

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:39 pm
by Inarius
My last savegame had the problem, however it was in the last version. I will try to reproduce this "bug" in the new version.

Nevertheless, it is a problem which was already present in Cap2. I remember i was making huge amount of money with resources such as oil, timber, etc.

Re: Silica and Chemical Mineral mines land prices too expens

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:44 pm
by Inarius
Here is a savegame with this typical problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a413w6qyj08nk ... silica.SAV


A few months ago, my supply of silica stopped.
I waited but nobody did anything. I decided to build a silica mine, which was quickly submerged by demand.


I decided to max the price, which allowed me to make 10M per month with it :)


It's quite a bug exploit but it is easy to do, and in Cap2 it was an easy way to win.

Re: Silica and Chemical Mineral mines land prices too expens

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:36 am
by David
A few months ago, my supply of silica stopped.
I waited but nobody did anything. I decided to build a silica mine, which was quickly submerged by demand.


I decided to max the price, which allowed me to make 10M per month with it


It's quite a bug exploit but it is easy to do, and in Cap2 it was an easy way to win.
This will be fixed in the next patch.

Re: Silica and Chemical Mineral mines land prices too expens

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 pm
by vek_60
Not a beta tester... Yet! But I think the solution is to make AI more likely to build mines/oil/etc, rather than tweak pricing, as far as controlling it being too easy to make a profit. If there is a competitive market because there are 3/4/5 producers worldwide of a given resource you'll be limited in how much you can price gouge by what shipping cost is from the next city over. If you're the only one in a city and charge $100 for oil you'll do great... So long as oil isn't being made in a city next door for for $30 and $20 shipping, making it effectively $50 in your city. Then you'd be limited to maybe making yours $40 or $45 to undercut them. If they have their supply being ate up at $30, then they're not likely to cut their pricing and then price "equilibrium" has been met for the moment.

As I haven't seen what AI does with a mine in the Lab I can't say for sure, but in Cap2 they had a tendency to undercharge by a huge amount vs what they could have. If there were only 2 producers in the world, me and them, and both our mines had more demand than we could meet they would still price it at 1/10th of my price... Seems they should take advantage and price higher. It's like they should default to max price, and then only adjust down in relation to demand and what others are charging... This is more or less what they do with a regular product, but rarely ever with natural resources.

Just my 2 cents!