POLL: Tech Disruption for Internet and Software

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here

Would you like see tech disruption added to software and internet tecg?

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 40

mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

POLL: Tech Disruption for Internet and Software

Post by mohmaaytah »

I have noticed that over the course of long games, normal product R&D figures are typically within 4 digits, in many cases 3 digits. On the other hand for internet and software R&D, tech disruption option does not apply and the numbers keep getting higher and higher. I have seen R&D figures into the 6-7 figure range. These large numbers are causing alignment issues with the text as seen in the screenshots below.

So my question is would you like to see tech disruption apply to these technologies in addition to the standard products?

Software and Internet R&D.png
Software and Internet R&D.png (341.38 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Core Image Search.png
Core Image Search.png (162.69 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Last edited by mohmaaytah on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piermario
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Re: Tech Disruption for Internet and Software

Post by piermario »

I think a solution can be always top tech value 100 or 1000 and other values in proportion of this
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Re: Tech Disruption for Internet and Software

Post by mohmaaytah »

I second your solution for 100/1000 cap. Personally I lean towards 1000. Either option would simplify things immensely as it would also tell you where the competition R&D is relative to yours at a glance.
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Re: POLL: Tech Disruption for Internet and Software

Post by mohmaaytah »

I expected this to gain more support than it has. Not really asking for a new feature but a fix for a graphical/interface issue.
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Post by mohmaaytah »

Hoping for another 10 votes or so to have a case for this fix. If anything I will be persistent! :mrgreen:
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

I completely support this idea

I would personally also like it if there were more tech disruption options for each individual product or class itself handled in the product_types.dbf file as à possible override if the feature is enabled for a custom setting.

Game settings should be something like ''Technology Disruption = <Off, Custom, 5% , 10%>, where the 'custom' option would use the custom technology disruption % for each product as would be specified in the product_types.dbf file instead.

Not all products are equally affected by tech disruption in real life to begin with. A can of soup for example should be easier to develop to max technology (1000) than Electronic Components. With 10% tech disruption after every 10 years you will lose 66% of your tech advancement. Which is insane for some products. I mean how much innovation is there in the canned soup department anyway? 10% is a little too much for me often times and I'd prefer there was a middle-man option of 5% if custom % per product was not possible or allowed.

Tech disruption of any% also softcaps the max product tech level as it is, based on technology cycles length. With 10% disruption the softcap in vanilla (not using the digital age dlc) is roughly around ~400 if you use the 10 year standard development cycle (and train your scientists to max skill) and you'll be swinging heavily between 150 to 400 between those 10 year cycles.

Product Research with the digital age dlc uses a different mechanic and technology seems to accumulate MUCH faster. About 2x as fast as vanilla with average skilled talent (50 points) and up to something like 4x as fast with max talent. This leads to some crazy tech gains where you can easily get to over 1000 tech in just a little over a decade.

The real kicker comes with the other Technology Research that Digital Age introduced but which technology disruption does NOT apply to. That type of tech seems to only grow faster after each cycle ... the sky is the limit when it comes to this tech group. Once an AI has achieved stratosphere tech levels there's no way to catch up or take them over. I guess it's the google or facebook effect or something :lol:
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Post by mohmaaytah »

That is actually a really good idea. My original suggestion was more to fix the issue whereas you are making it into a viable gameplay feature so thank you for that!

David, as you can see the results so far are showing broad support for the basic idea being proposed and even potential for a meatier gameplay rework. Is this now at a stage where it could at least be considered or do we still need more votes?
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Post by mohmaaytah »

Bump - the struggle continues :D
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Post by mohmaaytah »

Well I have been asking for this for over 4 months now. Doesn’t look like it’s happening though again I question why some would disagree with a poll clearly intending to fix a problem and not requesting a new feature.

I can’t complain since the package all in all is fantastic and I have spent thousands (literally) of hours since Cap 2 so this is a minor quibble if anything.

Thanks all who voted, we can let this poll rest in peace now.
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Post by mohmaaytah »

I cant give up on this! Up we go :D

While we are at it this is another great poll for a feature to auto demolish all buildings in a queue
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8261&p=35687#p35687