Climate mode for crops based on Capitalism Plus

Suggestions for new DLC projects.

Are you interested in regional differences of crops?

Each city will have different climate and rainfall.
30%
A soil fertility overlay for each city. Different locations in the city will have different fertility.
52%
Not interested.
17%

Total votes: 23

baz
Level 4 user

Climate mode for crops based on Capitalism Plus

Post by baz »

David,

Having played all of the Capitalism games and mastering the game from inside out, the one area that I really miss is the way farms were in the original or Cap Plus. Farms in that game used a quality related to the crop, with each crop requiring a certain soil fertility, rainfall and climate.
It also meant that rather than now, you can build them on the cheapest land, you had to build where the quality was sometimes only been able to have farms on some maps and not all as the land was to high for a farm to make sense, or your competitor had the land you coveted. This also lead to a strategy of land purchase and company purchase, it also lead to very high farm prices for the farms with the highest quality, the only down side was when the AI used the highest quality land to farm less quality products as I think it gave a boost to some degree. Would it be possible to have the below reintroduced as I think it was removed in Cap 2.
(Manual online for reference)
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/a ... 1503007409

Climate Mode button
Click this button to set the display to climate mode.
There are three kinds of climate maps: climate map,
rainfall map, and soil fertility map. The first climate
map depicts information about temperatures. The rainfall map
indicates the areas of greater and lesser rainfall. The soil fertility
map helps you choose a fertile location to build a farm. Toggle
these three map types by clicking the climate button.

Crops
Crop quality is affected by the climate, volume of rainfall, and soil fertility of the farming area. Some crops grow well in warm climates,
whereas some crops require heavy rainfall for their growth. Growing
the right crops in the right area is the key to a high-quality crop. Additionally, the crop quality is higher if the crop is grown by a crop growing unit with a higher unit level.

The quality of crops is determined by the following factors:
• Climate. Is the climate suitable to the crop?
• Rainfall. Is the rainfall suitable to the crop?
• Soil Fertility. The higher the soil fertility, the higher the crop quality.
• Crop unit level. The higher the unit level, the higher the crop quality.
Livestock Products
Livestock product quality is fairly consistent among different farms.
The quality does increase, however, as a farm accumulates experience. A
farm with higher unit levels produces better-quality livestock products.

Crop Information
The guide shows the suitable climate, suitable rainfall, sowing month,
and harvest month for the selected crop. When you select a location for
a new farm, you look for a location that provides the most suitable climate for the crops that you want to plant. The Farmer’s Guide tells you
what to look for.

Climate is a buzz word these days, Tropico had something very similar but it could change with time and over production of land could lead to loss of quality. Could be worth a DLC related to Climate, effect on business, moving to better working practice, reduction of pollution whilst absorbing cost and implementing change. Investing in Green Technology, Adding pollution into the games economics and the hidden costs. Having green and pollution taxes, offsetting Carbon, Carbon Tax, Robin hood Tax on finance, reducing carbon foot print and organic farming practice. You could introduce disasters into the game. as this is based on simcity's platform, that had flooding visible, tornado''s. You also now have new food type with Veganism coming thru and foods made from bugs which could be a mod but it would need game mechanics to understand the 3 type of food and the competition and a way that can be implemented for it to make sense. Maybe Vegan and Bugs don't require the above soil type but are more expensive and niche, organic food is more expensive and niche and requires land that can't be near a traditional farm, perhaps the more financial and commercial a city becomes the more the Niche can grow, with more traditional industrial cities relying on more traditional food types but as they grow the trends change.
When I first started posting everything was about been online now it's evolved to climate, trade wars and financial uncertainty. Hopefully the game can keep pace with current world affairs as from the original this has always been the best business game sim IMO due to been so well built having some many options as to how to play and been adaptive both in mod terms but with developer support. Every Trevor Chan game i've played has always felt like you have all of the options you would expect and thus felt like you were a CEO or a restaurant manager for example. :D
MightyGooga
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Climate mode for crops based on Capitalism Plus

Post by MightyGooga »

I love farming! I think we could simplify a litle bit by defining an overlay for fertillity and rainfall, the overlay wold act as a mask to where you shoul dbe placing farms. That in turn could increase land values if demand for the area grows. Im loving this ideas!
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

FYI, there is an old discussion thread on this topic: http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... =14&t=1151

It's good to see revived interests in this topic, hopefully leading to more discussions.
VRBones

Post by VRBones »

I personally enjoyed hunting through the striated fertility map and rainfall map of Cap+ to find the optimal spot for a farm at the start of the game, but must admit that by mid-game I'm just picking anything half-decent. The concept of a set climate and fertility per city would capture the majority of decision making in multi-city scenarios and make cities more varied and thematic, although if anything the soil fertility map would be the one that brings about the most tough decision making as it impacted quality. Fertility maps also assist in making cities look / feel unique as it would encourage different shaped growing zones rather than only being concerned with land price and freight. My vote would be for climate and rainfall set per city and soil fertility overlay.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

I've added a poll. Please see the top of this discussion thread.