CES - Donation to political party not registering in income statement

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
Berbe
Level 3 user

CES - Donation to political party not registering in income statement

Post by Berbe »

I made a donation of $60M to my political party the previous month, which does not seem to register.

Although it does not register, write-offs seem to have peaked... while not showing any money there. It looks like the game is lost on reporting where the money went, while correctly registering that exceptional expense.
I feel the panic. :lol:

Exceptional expense.png
Exceptional expense.png (87.02 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

Maybe would it be an idea to add a check (unit test?) ensuring that the Operating Expenses sum-up actually corelates with the details?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: CES - Donation to political party not registering in income statement

Post by David »

We will investigate the problem.

Could you please provide us with your save game file and let us know the following?
1) Which version of Capitalism Lab you are using. You can see the version number on the top-right of the main menu.
2) The exact steps for triggering the bug with the save game
3) If your savegame uses a MOD, please let us know the name of the MOD and the MOD's version number.

You can find save game files of Capitalism Lab from:
C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\My Games\Capitalism Lab\SAVE

You may email the save game file to us at info@enlight.com.

If your save game file is too large for attachment, you may check out this post about how to send us large files: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2473
Berbe
Level 3 user

Post by Berbe »

You will find the savegame attached.

Savegame was made during Scenario n°1 of the CES campaign, started on v5.7.11.

The donation itself was made in January, 2004, after a message popped up indicating campaigning for the next election had started, which will last the whole 2004 year.

My gameplay was focused on cities management, thus I spent most of my time in that mode. I can't remember if the donation itself was made while in Company or Government mode (most probably the latter, though), if that might have had an impact.

Any other piece of information required?
Attachments
BERN_004.zip
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
David

Post by David »

I will forward this to the programmer.
David

Post by David »

The programmer replied that the code seems to be working fine with donation. He did some tests with new donations and all the donated funds registered at the parties. If you have a save game where the problem is repeatable, please let me know and I will forward it to the programmer for testing.
Berbe
Level 3 user

Post by Berbe »

If I load the savegame I provided to you in a v5.7.11 game & go to my company's income statement, I get the exact screenshot I provided to you.
The current state of this savegame shows the problem, and seems reproducible every time I load it. Moreover, this game was started on v5.7.11, eliminating the possibility to invoke 'cross-version sheananigan'-alike long shots.
Some intel about the probable game state when the donation was made were already provided in a post before. If I were to be given leads to follow about what kind of information is required, I could try to remember it.

I don't understand what your developer wants me to provide. I cannot foresee a problem before it happens?

Maybe add checks for such imbalances and throw errors or log something somewhere (in game state + savegame or in log files) when such a generic situation happens?

I'd be happy to have access to the source code and dig for that myself, however all you sold was the game's compiled binaries & promises of support/evolution. I am thus completely dependent on your willingness...
If you can't/don't want to investigate this further in the current state, I'd be glad to trade the closure of this investigation for the ownership of the v5.7.11 source code. :roll:
David

Post by David »

If I load the savegame I provided to you in a v5.7.11 game & go to my company's income statement, I get the exact screenshot I provided to you.
The current state of this savegame shows the problem, and seems reproducible every time I load it. Moreover, this game was started on v5.7.11, eliminating the possibility to invoke 'cross-version sheananigan'-alike long shots.
Some intel about the probable game state when the donation was made were already provided in a post before. If I were to be given leads to follow about what kind of information is required, I could try to remember it.
Could you walk me through step by step about how to read the data in your screenshot related to the problem? I don't see a figure related to Donation in the income statement.

And don't worry, I won't close the post until the bug is fixed. I just need more info.
Berbe
Level 3 user

Post by Berbe »

Code: Select all

= 60,000,003
Hence, there is indeed no donation line... that's the whole, initial, problem, showing the game went berserk on accounting at least one money transfer, here the $60M donation.

Hence:
Berbe wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:36 amI made a donation of $60M to my political party the previous month, which does not seem to register.

Although it does not register, write-offs seem to have peaked... while not showing any money there. It looks like the game is lost on reporting where the money went, while correctly registering that exceptional expense.

Maybe would it be an idea to add a check (unit test?) ensuring that the Operating Expenses sum-up actually corelates with the details?
Also keep in mind additional information that might prove useful in attempting to reproduce the problem:
Berbe wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:15 pm Savegame was made during Scenario n°1 of the CES campaign, started on v5.7.11.

The donation itself was made in January, 2004, after a message popped up indicating campaigning for the next election had started, which will last the whole 2004 year.

My gameplay was focused on cities management, thus I spent most of my time in that mode. I can't remember if the donation itself was made while in Company or Government mode (most probably the latter, though), if that might have had an impact.
David

Post by David »

Hence, there is indeed no donation line... that's the whole, initial, problem, showing the game went berserk on accounting at least one money transfer, here the $60M donation.
I will forward this to the programmer and request him to add the Donation line to the Income statement.
I made a donation of $60M to my political party the previous month, which does not seem to register.
I did a few test in your save game by making new donations and they all registered. Did you encounter the problem again when making new donations or it only happened once?
Berbe
Level 3 user

Post by Berbe »

David wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:11 amI did a few test in your save game by making new donations and they all registered. Did you encounter the problem again when making new donations or it only happened once?
I only noticed this happening that clearly this single time, and I stopped playing that game to keep the savegame intact for bug reporting.

However, it's definitely not the 1st donation of this game, as I already needed to fund my political party to win the mayor position in both towns earlier in the game. Thus I suppose that line should already be there...
I am completely lost on the How? & Why? questions, I was hoping you could enlighten me! :lol:

I merely started CES scenario n°1 (on v5.7.11), which game parameters are fixed, to my knowledge.