Buying single apartment units in an apartment building or individual offices in a commercial building

Suggestions for new DLC projects.

Would you like us to implement this new feature for the City Economic Simulation DLC?

Yes
58%
No. The dev team had better use their time to work on other more useful features.
32%
I have other opinions (Please post your opinions on this thread.)
11%

Total votes: 19

David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Buying single apartment units in an apartment building or individual offices in a commercial building

Post by David »

Poll: Add a new feature allowing the player to buy single apartment units in an apartment building or individual offices in a commercial building.

The source of this idea: Piermario's suggestion post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3944

The player can rent out the purchased apartment units or individual offices, or sell them at higher prices for profits.

For each building, there will be a new interface showing how many single apartment units or offices are available for sale and their sizes and prices.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Re: Buying single apartment units in an apartment building or individual offices in a commercial building

Post by saffgee »

This is drifting into the micro managing and almost feels like a game within a game - can't imagine I can find the will or the time to focus on individual offices and apartments whilst running a global business empire.

However, having said that, this feature may open the door for something that is indeed very near and dear to my heart: which is the continual upsizing of the company headquarters as you progress, culminating in an enormous (and unique) vanity project once you are top of the leaderboard. ie. I start off in a Jeff Bezos style single office with a pin up banner and then work my way up to for example a "salesforce tower" in SF. Essentially the idea is to offer the player a sense of progression and achievement. If you guys working on and launching single apartments or office buildings can lead to something like that, then I'm all for it !
David

Re: Buying single apartment units in an apartment building or individual offices in a commercial building

Post by David »

saffgee wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:07 am However, having said that, this feature may open the door for something that is indeed very near and dear to my heart: which is the continual upsizing of the company headquarters as you progress, culminating in an enormous (and unique) vanity project once you are top of the leaderboard. ie. I start off in a Jeff Bezos style single office with a pin up banner and then work my way up to for example a "salesforce tower" in SF. Essentially the idea is to offer the player a sense of progression and achievement. If you guys working on and launching single apartments or office buildings can lead to something like that, then I'm all for it !
Could you provide some more specific details as to how this can be implemented?
williammgary1
Level 3 user

Post by williammgary1 »

I voted for but would like the ability with my person to buy land and build minecraft style a mega mansion
David

Post by David »

williammgary1 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:04 am would like the ability with my person to buy land and build minecraft style a mega mansion
That will require 3D but Capitalism Lab is a 2D game.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

David wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:53 am
saffgee wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:07 am However, having said that, this feature may open the door for something that is indeed very near and dear to my heart: which is the continual upsizing of the company headquarters as you progress, culminating in an enormous (and unique) vanity project once you are top of the leaderboard. ie. I start off in a Jeff Bezos style single office with a pin up banner and then work my way up to for example a "salesforce tower" in SF. Essentially the idea is to offer the player a sense of progression and achievement. If you guys working on and launching single apartments or office buildings can lead to something like that, then I'm all for it !
Could you provide some more specific details as to how this can be implemented?
I suppose the simplest way would be to define 4-5 different HQ types and then have them "unlock" at certain milestones (eg. dominance% or financial). Although maybe I'm oversimplifying the word simple here :D

My thinking to tie in with your suggestion in this thread though, was simply that your HQ building would evolve as your business evolves, meaning in your initial HQ you maybe start with 1 floor and can rent out the rest, but as your business grows, you take more and more of that space up yourself until you basically outgrow the whole building. Then you build a new building and slowly outgrow that one, etc - essentially the space you require to run your business admin evolves over time (as should your cost btw).
David

Post by David »

What will be the functions of a more evolved HQ?
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

Well the first thing could be prevention of something negative - as your business grows, you have to evolve your HQ to avoid losing efficiency maybe (which costs you money).
I can also think of other ideas:
- An evolved HQ could allow access to more regions/cities for example
- Maybe certain products might require an evolved HQ to allow production
- An evolved HQ could provide new buildings (eg: A high tech factory or hydroponic farm)
- Maybe certain functions are restricted until the HQ evolves (workforce training, dividends)

I am sure there are plenty more ideas of how this might work, but it certainly feels like the HQ is under-utilised at the moment.
David

Post by David »

saffgee wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 pm Well the first thing could be prevention of something negative - as your business grows, you have to evolve your HQ to avoid losing efficiency maybe (which costs you money).
I can also think of other ideas:
- An evolved HQ could allow access to more regions/cities for example
- Maybe certain products might require an evolved HQ to allow production
- An evolved HQ could provide new buildings (eg: A high tech factory or hydroponic farm)
- Maybe certain functions are restricted until the HQ evolves (workforce training, dividends)

I am sure there are plenty more ideas of how this might work, but it certainly feels like the HQ is under-utilised at the moment.
Interesting ideas. Would you set up polls on the suggestion forum to gauge which of these ideas the community is more interested in?
LT3001
Level 2 user

Post by LT3001 »

Hi guys,

In my view having a feature allowing you to buy individual units is not necessary - the size of the investment for a whole building is not that large and so it's unlikely to be used as you can't deploy enough capital into individual units.

However, a seriously missing feature is a liquid secondary market in real estate. In real life you can easily sell real estate. I think you should have a feature where you can choose to sell a piece of real estate at its current market value at any time. This is especially the case when you run out of cash and the bankruptcy screen prompt comes up. You should have the option to liquidate real estate buildings to raise cash.

You might consider providing increased options to purchase existing real estate buildings also. You can make an offer and say buy it out at a 20% premium to its current market value off the government/AI. Off companies, you might have to offer more - similar to the premium demanded to buy shares.