Seeking feedback

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Seeking feedback

Post by eleaza »

klasanov wrote:I have a corp that makes 30-40m a month, profit. Two that make around 8m profit. Both per month.

Cpi is around 200. So im pretty sure i can funnel the necessary funds year over year to grow the city, especially once the retail chain gets off the ground and the media gets bought out completely.

But yeah with low capital this cant happen really
With a developed city providing funds this might be easy enough to grow a new city on your own, but with survival mode and NO developed city from the start, this sounds quite tedious (and probably slow, especially if the starting capital is very low at 580% difficulty). I usually left media for the city to run, since it's quite a boost to city income, if I want to lower taxes and grow the city faster.

Maybe, I should try set number of competitors to 0, and see how easy or difficult to build a completely new nation from 0 all by myself sometimes.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

Yeah, im not running survival mode.

Im also by far the richest tycoon in the game im on with 2.5b valuation (private company to boot).

None of us have reached the local billionaires list but i should soon. The smaller cities meant less expansion for everyone lol.
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

I mean for 2020 a value of 2.5b is ridiculously low, but if the city plan comes to fruition it should be very profitable in 10-15 years (i could start one every 2-3 years lol)
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

klasanov wrote:Yeah, im not running survival mode.

Im also by far the richest tycoon in the game im on with 2.5b valuation (private company to boot).

None of us have reached the local billionaires list but i should soon. The smaller cities meant less expansion for everyone lol.
AI corporations really don't perform well with such small populations in CED DLC (especially not with survival mode, they essentially just run on initial capital and slowly dying, where new ones come along to replace them)
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

Ive notced.

Hopefully they can fix that. I love the whole getting profitable corps i dont own. There was a car and motorcycle manufacturer who would break even. I took it over and couldny make a profit.

Powdersville has a populatio of 1m and apparently can only sell 30 cars a month maximum.

If there were more financial incentives to being mayor of a new city the yeah i would let competitors move in.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

klasanov wrote:Ive notced.

Hopefully they can fix that. I love the whole getting profitable corps i dont own. There was a car and motorcycle manufacturer who would break even. I took it over and couldny make a profit.

Powdersville has a populatio of 1m and apparently can only sell 30 cars a month maximum.

If there were more financial incentives to being mayor of a new city the yeah i would let competitors move in.
I've tried zero AI competitors in survival mode with no developed city, and it really is quite slow and tedious as I expected, especially for building all the mines, farms, factories. However it's quite fun try to figure out a way to squeeze every products in as few factories as possible to keep the overhead down. Really feels like my corporation just existed solely to produce goods and make the citizens happy, not very profitable either due to all the raw materials and mines have to be maintained. I now truly understand why most AI corporations have so much trouble making a profit in survival mode CES DLC, since most of the raw materials producing facilities are just idle, the overhead is just too high, and AIs rarely mixed farms well to cut down the overhead, like it would dedicate an entire farm to produce rubber for wheels, I can beat AI by a mile on this micromanagement level alone.

Automobiles seems to have a lot less demand in CES DLC for some reason. I remember in the core game, I have to use large factory serve 2 million population city, even with 1 million population city, a least medium factory is required, In CES DLC, it's the first time I ever use just small factory for cars and motorcycles and apparently is enough. Felt very weird rolling out cars in a small factory, although everything in the game I imagine would be quite huge in real life scale, 2x2 small factory really wouldn't be "small" in true size since apartments and commercials in the game are also 2x2, it's 4x4 large factory should be really humongous, since it can occupy an entire city block. And imagine the 4x4 discount stores, they really are Walmart shopping malls sized monsters.
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

Most walmarts are around 150k-200k sq ft.

the largest factories span around 600ksqft.
kmarano

Post by kmarano »

I sat down for the first time this weekend and really dedicated myself to playing this game. I found it enjoyable although I do feel like there needs to be more in regards to goals. The constant chore of increase population and thus improving infrastructure does get a bit tiresome. I think it would be interesting if you were able to make the city you are creating more integrated into the global economy. I think this could be achieved by the private sector and public sector working together to meet certain supply demands or research goals. For example, the government offers subsidies to the private sector to research a new product and be the first to market. This could be done for a number of different items. Additionally, the public sector could offer incentives to drive job growth or improve employee training. Happy to discuss more if you have any questions.
BioBiro
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by BioBiro »

Question:
Where does the $20,000,000 the player's newly-formed political party has come from? I think the player should have to come up with that money themselves, otherwise it seems like it came out of nowhere?

The more I play this DLC beta, the more I'm enjoying it.
Last edited by BioBiro on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user will not complain about the UI until 9th July 2020.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

kmarano wrote:I sat down for the first time this weekend and really dedicated myself to playing this game. I found it enjoyable although I do feel like there needs to be more in regards to goals. The constant chore of increase population and thus improving infrastructure does get a bit tiresome.
I totally agree. Managing infrastructure is a tedious job, especially when first being elected to a new city, and facepalmed how bad AI mayor did their city planning. This part is tolerable, since it's a one time thing (unless losing future mayor election), the real tedious part is tuning civic building budgets. Automatic managing budget option doesn't do a good job of keeping the city happy, it's as bad as other AI mayors (this reminds me of the old COO control options, if I allow its autonomy, it just crash my well-balanced corporation in a few months). I think it's somehow related to their political expertise (but I am not very sure), some of the mayors in my party do poor jobs, others don't, and I cannot control which candidate I get who has the right skills and personality. The end result is I have to manually tune every civic building budget every few months, to keep them at good terms, as well as balancing the income and expenses by reducing upgrade budget. And my party members are just clones that can replace each other without real "personality", nor I care for any of them.

Sometimes I find limiting population growth when it reaches enough size is wise, or rampaged unemployment would start occurring. And a healthy Wage Rate or economic growth doesn't need huge population, but with increasing GDP growth, this is more important in the late game when the city is mature. At that point, city infrastructures don't need to be constantly added or fine tuned regularly.
kmarano wrote: I think it would be interesting if you were able to make the city you are creating more integrated into the global economy. I think this could be achieved by the private sector and public sector working together to meet certain supply demands or research goals. For example, the government offers subsidies to the private sector to research a new product and be the first to market.
In a way, specialized product class R&D in university has similar effect.
http://www.capitalismlab.com/university ... ation.html
It allows a competitive edge for certain class of products per University. And it's not cheap, usually needs millions a month to have significant gain. However it's still not the same as "subsidies". Which I think might be something like boosting its brand awareness, reduce taxes for certain products (although tax system needs to workout all the bugs it has now), or even more practically reduce freight cost to other cities, or "increase" freight cost from other city to protect local production, etc. Even better if a functional tariff mechanism to gain more tax, or help reduce the global competition. What would you suggest to add that would make the game more fun?
kmarano wrote: This could be done for a number of different items. Additionally, the public sector could offer incentives to drive job growth or improve employee training. Happy to discuss more if you have any questions.
Public service provide some structural improvement sounds fun. Like reduce overhead cost by providing enough public services (or in reverse, poor public services lead to more overhead cost). Better training speed due to better education, or the right type of education for specialized type. In a way, "landmark" is currently act as a booster like this, where its bonus sometimes can provide certain specific benefit. http://www.capitalismlab.com/landmarks.html
However it's quite limited, and feels weird and ridiculous that a landmark can do that. (like boost certain firm type to level 2, competitiveness 30%, etc. and it's civis broad operating cost reduction, not private sector overhead reduction).
Last edited by eleaza on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.