Internet shopping, selling thru the net

Suggestions that have been implemented were moved to the this subforum.

Would you want interent shopping, IE been able to sell using the Net?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Yes.
82%
No, leave it as it is.
9%
Undecided.
9%

Total votes: 11

baz
Level 4 user

Internet shopping, selling thru the net

Post by baz »

I remember reading a article with Trevor Chan been asked questions about a future CAP 3 and they asked the question then. So I thought I'd pose the same question to the forum now. I'm unclear how it would work, perhaps an admin building with loads of staff or a Media company. But again I just want to gage from the forum there thoughts via a poll.
Again please vote no matter your feeling or view.

Article below

http://www.codehappy.net/apolyton/threads/38566-1.htm

BTW I don't work for Enlight, Just a big fan. If the above article is false or incorrect in some way hopefully Enlight could correct or comment.
Purifier
Level 4 user

Re: Internet shopping, selling thru the net

Post by Purifier »

the idea is good yes. But it would be hard to implement it in the game (looking at how Cap2 works)

A simple way to do it would be if another population is added which is xx% of the world pop (or the cities your current game uses). Then add a box like the sales box, but this box can only sell to that new population.
To balance it out, i would say that brand needs to be a major factor in the popularity of a product sold to that pop.

Just a small thought to start with :)
baz
Level 4 user

Post by baz »

Your right about it been hard to implement within the CAP franchise.
Good ideas, keep them comming.
you've made me think about this a bit more now. How about a country that a city resides in having a total population, so for example. London is 10 million and the Uk is 60 million, the internet sales could be based on the total of the whole country. So you'd still have retail stores ect in the city but you could then have an admin building that sells to the rest of the population. I know that in real life it dosen't work like that but at least it would change the game, and it would give internet shopping a chance in the game along side retail. You could then have both running along side by side without effecting each other.
I like the brand idea but advertising would have to play a part aswell.

I keep in mind about my own interent shopping, basically we use the supermarket that we shop in, and they deliver the food. There is Ebay but thats irelevant. In the article Trevor was talking about DOT coms but I think thats kinda dead now. Is there other companies that are in CAP 2 that could be used for internet shopping. Banks could be used I guess. but thats another thread.
Lets see if we can construct something, so keep the ideas comming.
chrishaas61

Post by chrishaas61 »

As the owner of an internet retail business, I believe that it would not be realistic to implement an internet sales option. How do you realize the importance of search engine optimization, freight, packaging, returns, advertising, and development? To whom do you sell? The thing would be a mess and frankly change the game too much. While I understand the developers are seeking the most realistic simulator, making internet sales available to the player isn't going to work seamlessly.

Perhaps a better way to incorporate the internet, is to make some kind of competitor: Nile.com (see what I did there - a spin off of Amazon) that can effectively steal market share. Even this might be more headache than help.