No Updates?

Discussions about scenario games and user-defined scripts.
ezzeqiel
Level 2 user

Re: No Updates?

Post by ezzeqiel »

Esoteric Rogue wrote:Imo, it's the most demanding suggestion to implement that I've seen.
I'm not a computer programmer, nor anything similar, but I find it VERY hard to believe that adding a menu in the "create new game" screen with all the available cities to choose is that difficult to achieve...
magiclight
Level 2 user

Post by magiclight »

ezzeqiel wrote:
David wrote:(will probably take a few more months).
If you take a look at what USERS want, you won't find "private challenge games" anywhere, but instead, you'll find that customizable cities is a TOP priority....

Anyway, you are postponing customizable cities (which is a top priority for users) for monthS, in order to make it compatible to a new feature nobody wanted...
I don't play challenge games either, and from my perspective it seems only to exist because they didn't bother adding real multiplayer features. We can probably assume the reason for this was lack of resources, which makes me wonder why they want to spend possibly months on it now!
Maybe this time could have been better spent adding real multiplayer support instead of adding onto an already (seemingly) weak system?

Personally, I'd have wanted the original customizable cities without all the extra challenge game things - and it seems others agree.
All we can do is wait and hope our voices get listened to.

Kind regards,
Magic
Dav3
Level 3 user

Post by Dav3 »

I don't play challenge games either, and from my perspective it seems only to exist because they didn't bother adding real multiplayer features. We can probably assume the reason for this was lack of resources, which makes me wonder why they want to spend possibly months on it now!
Maybe this time could have been better spent adding real multiplayer support instead of adding onto an already (seemingly) weak system?

Personally, I'd have wanted the original customizable cities without all the extra challenge game things - and it seems others agree.
All we can do is wait and hope our voices get listened to.

Kind regards,
Magic

Agree. They should had made the game more moddingfriendly before the release but I assume it was just released for the quick dollar. *sigh*
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

The user-defined scripts will eventually be implemented, and will become a more versatile system that the original design. Supporting the private game system is just ONE of the features of the new design. It will also allows you to customize additional aspects of the game as well, with improved extensibility for more future expansions.

Hope this puts things into perspective.
Esoteric Rogue
Level 6 user

Post by Esoteric Rogue »

ezzeqiel wrote:
Esoteric Rogue wrote:Imo, it's the most demanding suggestion to implement that I've seen.
I'm not a computer programmer, nor anything similar, but I find it VERY hard to believe that adding a menu in the "create new game" screen with all the available cities to choose is that difficult to achieve...
Well, I am a classically trained programmer. A menu of city names would be small portion of what is to be included in the script system. The biggest question of time would be whether or not he's building his own parser to read user files, or if he's using a common library to do so. This is the type of thing that's almost never added to a program; it's usually implemented from the beginning of development or never at all. It's a pretty major revision.

Right now all his variables are contained with the program. He has to implement a system to read them from a user-friendly file. I have no way of knowing, but he probably has these variable scattered throughout several different files, he has to find them all and substitute new labels. He has to idiot-proof each variable so that when the player types a wrong value it doesn't have a bad effect; if he want's to make it actually "user-friendly", he'll be at least logging a custom error message such as "City Name cannot be longer than 16 characters". Check that every number is a number, maybe it can't be less than zero, maybe it has to be a whole number. He has to resolve conflicts between the options screen and the options file.

Personally, I would never have accepted such a challenge until I wanted to rewrite the whole game, again. Kudos to Enlight.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

A new version of Capitalism Lab that supports user-defined scripts is currently under development.

We will release it as Capitalism Lab Post-Release beta version 2.3.00 once the development is complete.

In the meantime, you may check out the web page about user-defined scripts on the official CapLab web site:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/user-defined-scripts.html