E-Commerce Improvements in upcoming version 10.0

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

E-Commerce Improvements in upcoming version 10.0

Post by David »

E-Commerce Improvements in version 10.0:

1) Your COO will manage the pricing of your e-commerce products when you assign the COO as the manager of your e-commerce firm, so that you no longer have to adjust the prices yourself, greatly reducing the micromanagement.

2) Improved gameplay balance on e-commerce
To better reflect reality, the overall e-commerce sales of a product category (except software products) are restricted to a minority of the total market share, meaning that it will never account for a majority of the market share.

The Maximum Share of E-commerce in Total Retail Sales can be customized on the New Game Settings menu’s Digital Age DLC section:
max-ecommerce-share-setting.png
max-ecommerce-share-setting.png (152.33 KiB) Viewed 487 times
The share of e-commerce sales is capped at a certain percentage of the total retail sales to reflect the reality that online sales typically constitute only a portion of the overall retail market.

Reference: the E-commerce as share of total U.S. retail sales is less than 20%.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/187 ... s-in-2010/

Script line for this setting:
[Digital Age DLC]
Max E-Commerce Share=<Low, Moderate, High, or Very High>
These users thanked the author David for the post (total 2):
rafaeltodero, foxtrotf
rafaeltodero
Translation Contributor
Translation Contributor

Re: E-Commerce Improvements in upcoming version 10.0

Post by rafaeltodero »

Thank you very much David. I'm really looking forward to this 10.0 version.
I think it will be a milestone for all players.

It was very complicated to micromanage electronic commerce, in most of my games I didn't focus on that because of this micromanagement. Now I will definitely focus on e-commerce.
Way2co0l
Level 2 user

Post by Way2co0l »

David wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:27 am Reference: the E-commerce as share of total U.S. retail sales is less than 20%.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/187 ... s-in-2010/
Are we actually sure about this though? It makes me wonder what all is being accounted for. Amazon and Temu have become primary shopping platforms for huge numbers of people and you have others like Walmart fighting to make inroads. It makes me wonder what all they're attributing "retail" sales too and I'm assuming they're including general "grocery" shopping in which would majorly impact the weightings. Despite growth for platforms like Uber Eats and Instacart providing E-Commerce options for things that fall into this category, I don't think anyone can argue the vast majority of those kinds of purchases are still made in person, but nearly everything else feels to me like it's primarily been moved online. I don't know anyone in my own life anyway who goes to a store to buy non-grocery related products anymore. It's almost always cheaper and better access to variety to order it online. I personally will be setting this setting to very high to reflect that but I'd hope you guys might consider the actual types of products still being bought in person versus online because there is a big difference and restricting this setting to reflect all possible retail sales will artificially gimp one or the other.
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by cantdownloadit »

i think UK it is over 30%. but it depends what is included.

I haven't been inside a retail shop of any kind for at least 10 years.

but the current e-commerce system doesn't account for returns I dont think ?, and its estimated up to 20-30% of online purchases are returned, at many places at the retailers cost.
Way2co0l
Level 2 user

Post by Way2co0l »

Yeah, I think it really boils down to what items are being talked about. I don't have the data to back it up as I haven't personally researched it but my gut tells me that E-commerce likely accounts for closer to half of non-grocery related non-perishable goods and much much higher than that for software which is already excluded from this change. I do think anything perishable or considered normal household use or certain industries like car buying would still primarily be done through retail but tons of these other products are done almost exclusively online anymore.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

If you have tested this new feature, please share your comments and strategies. Thanks.
Stylesjl
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by Stylesjl »

I have found a slight issue with the settings. If you turn off E-Commerce the E-Commerce share setting still appears:
E-Commerce.png
E-Commerce.png (55.86 KiB) Viewed 82 times
If E-Commerce is off that should not be displayed.