CapLab version 1.970 patch is now available

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

CapLab version 1.970 patch is now available

Post by David »

CapLab version 1.970 patch is now available. We have changed quite a bit of the code this time and the build may be unstable, so we are releasing it as a manual patch initially. Here is the direct download link:

http://www.capitalismlab.com/capserver/ ... 701970.zip

To apply the patch, simply unpack it to your Capitalism Lab program folder.

Your Capitalism Lab is located in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Capitalism Lab Beta, unless you changed the installation folder on the installer.

If it works well, we will release it as an auto patch subsequently.

(Saved games of the previous versions are not compatible with this new version.)

Bug Fixes and Changes
Improved various AI behaviors.

AI may sell land plots after closing down firms or when it is short on cash.

Now you can buy from seaports from any cities, no matter where your firms are based.

Reduced the total product demand of all product types in an effort to reduce micromangement. It will be less likely that the player has to open many retail stores and factories for a single product type in order to satsify all the demand. Since AI is playing with the same rules, the game is supposed to be as challenging as the previous version. But the player company’s total revenue and the AI companies’ total revenues will be smaller than the previous version, thus reducing the amount of micromanagement.

Fixed the following bugs:
Usually when we double click a product in a shop or a factory, the product detail page will be opened automatically, however, in 1.965, I found it doesn't work sometimes, it looks like I just click on something else, not on the product.

When clicking - & + buttons fast or very fast, the window closes.

When building anything, and accidently clicking on the place where is a firm it does not not build the firm, but opens the one under the place clicked.

When buying land plots, and if in the place You click is a firm, it does not buy the land plot, but opens the firm window in the background

I believe this exploit occurs because the demand in cities is not based on quantity sold, but rather on total revenue. I believe this is not realistic and it would be better if deman was based on quantity sold rather than total spending.

When clicking on the star to see what happened (1. attachment), it opens the firm under it. (2. attachment).

When choosing products and double clicking (3. attachment). It doesn't do nothing, but it selects the product and adds it.

Also to add to the click through bugs, if you click on a firm's $ to see the financial report it will click through to firms under the window. I think you can hit F6 to avoid having to click.

Lets say I am in Shanghai, and I go into the Information Center - Products
If I doubleclick on a firm, the minimap changes cities to Kuala Lumpur, but the information bars below remain for the previous cities (Shanghai)
If I click on the up/down arrow in the selections, it returns to Shanghai

No one wants to buy my Smartphones, despite my setting up chains and pricing them competitively for a new product
The only reason I can think of is because I skipped Camera Phones and went straight for Smart Phones (No AI or local AI ever went for Camera Phones either, so they are not in production)
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Re: CapLab version 1.970 patch is now available

Post by mwyeoh »

Interesting changes
Now you can buy from seaports from any cities, no matter where your firms are based.
This one is a gamechanger. Pretty much sets each city to have as many seaports as there are cities as the AI is able to use them now
David

Post by David »

mwyeoh wrote:Interesting changes
This one is a gamechanger. Pretty much sets each city to have as many seaports as there are cities as the AI is able to use them now
What are the pros and cons of this change to seaports in your experience of playing the latest version?

Do you think it makes the game less fun in any way?

Do you think we should make it as a customizable option on the new game option menu?
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

Hi David

I think the seaport change is a big PRO, as it is another source of competition.
I think however that the quality of industrial goods needs to be a bit lower for the 'low' settings (leaving retail quality as it is is fine though)

Here is my current save game, I saw you requested it in the other thread
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23145017/CHAL_011.zip

In my current challenge game, Im taking it easy this time and roleplaying a little. You mentioned that the current challenge game would be used for the next one, so I am setting up my game to have the player's current company as the king of fashion (Apparel, Footwear, Leather Goods), using the corporate brand. I decided against expanding into any other sectors, although I am providing some industrial goods.

At the point of the save game, I have just completed a 5yr research into Sports Shoes and Socks, and have yet to roll it out. They are the last two items I need to start producing.

As the AI is never very good at dealing with debt, I am also focusing on paying that off before the time runs out.

In general, I still think the game has a little too much 'micromanagement' though.
If anything, the 'warehouse only' filter that I suggested a little while back would help, as then I wouldnt have to scroll though lists and lists of items to link my warehouses
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

Also its great to see AVAILABLE LAND in the CBD!! After the AI have sold their plots of land, there's room to build!
Keither
Level 3 user

Post by Keither »

David wrote:What are the pros and cons of this change to seaports in your experience of playing the latest version?
Pros: AI can use those goods and effectively becomes a better competitor.
David wrote:Do you think it makes the game less fun in any way?
No. AI has become a worthy challenger thus makes this game better.
David wrote:Do you think we should make it as a customizable option on the new game option menu?
NO.
allan_god

Post by allan_god »

I'd think it'd be a good idea to make the seaport change a customizable option in the menu. Personally, I've not wanted to update because of this addition. I'm no where near good enough yet to take on the AI if they were able to access all seaports in each city and it would most likely ruin the experience for me.

I always played Capitalism 2 with no seaports at all so now that I have to have seaports ive already had to overhaul my starting strategy without the seaports being available in all cities. So if they were available in all cities I just think the learning curve would become too steep and it would probably become too hard no matter what the other settings are.
David

Post by David »

allan_god wrote:I'd think it'd be a good idea to make the seaport change a customizable option in the menu. Personally, I've not wanted to update because of this addition. I'm no where near good enough yet to take on the AI if they were able to access all seaports in each city and it would most likely ruin the experience for me.

I always played Capitalism 2 with no seaports at all so now that I have to have seaports ive already had to overhaul my starting strategy without the seaports being available in all cities. So if they were available in all cities I just think the learning curve would become too steep and it would probably become too hard no matter what the other settings are.
I have created a new topic about this.
Please see my reply at http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... f=10&t=746
David

Post by David »

In general, I still think the game has a little too much 'micromanagement' though.
In our testing, micromanagement is further reduced in v.1971. You may test it and let me know what you think.