Real estate focused company AI

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Real estate focused company AI

Post by David »

In the current version, real estate focused company AI has been improved.

Firstly, the AI will try to build a residential area, using a strategy like what is described on this page:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/the-evolut ... -2042.html

The AI will build retail stores in the residential area. Residents in the area will be served by these retail stores, effectively blocking any competitors thanks to the privately owned land.

In the current version, the AI will attempt to merge with another corporation with decent production capacity and tech on various productions. The synergy is to bring the products from the merged company to the retail stores, which are enjoying a somewhat monopoly advantage selling to consumers in the privately owned residential area.

We have run a few games and saw AI executing this strategy quite well. (using high AI capital and aggressiveness setting)

Would like to know if you saw this working in your game too. Any feedback is welcome.
Grashopa
Level 3 user

Re: Real estate focused company AI

Post by Grashopa »

I'd probably rather have the AI do this around the central core thus expanding the city naturally. As it is the AI only builds factories/farms etc around the city. I don't have the experience playing to know if this hurts retail - ie does more demand come from apartments/commercial buildings vs the factories and farms that surround your new retail establishments on the outskirts of the core city.
kie99
Level 4 user

Post by kie99 »

Hi David,
David wrote:Firstly, the AI will try to build a residential area, using a strategy like what is described on this page:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/the-evolut ... -2042.html
Even thought the profit is 5000% in 50 years , but since AI cant sell the land , they can never enjoy the profit in $$$, it has defeat the purpose of having property mogul..

I believe there must be away to sell AI land to competitors so the city can more boom and they can enjoy higher return..
Maybe auction type selling? or bidding ?

And also can you remove the road? cuz sometime the block are in odd like 3x3 or 5x5
meaning if building any apartment can only utulised 2x2 , so 1x1 space is wasted

Thank you
David

Post by David »

Grashopa wrote:I'd probably rather have the AI do this around the central core thus expanding the city naturally. As it is the AI only builds factories/farms etc around the city. I don't have the experience playing to know if this hurts retail - ie does more demand come from apartments/commercial buildings vs the factories and farms that surround your new retail establishments on the outskirts of the core city.
If AI is going to build retail stores, apartments or commercial buildings, AI may relocate factories to free up space in CBD to build them. Thus the downtown area will no longer be populated by so many factories.
mwyeoh
Level 6 user

Post by mwyeoh »

David wrote: If AI is going to build retail stores, apartments or commercial buildings, AI may relocate factories to free up space in CBD to build them. Thus the downtown area will no longer be populated by so many factories.
Hi David

Any decision about allowing Farms to be moved?
The AI also currently build alot of farms in the inner city, this would also help free up space in the CBD
Purifier
Level 4 user

Post by Purifier »

David can you discuss with the devs the rate of ai corporations removing their R&D and factories from the central city area ? To my opinion this happens far to less (actualy i havent seen it happen at all...)
A good example is the challenge game 6.. take the savegames from lets say Kie or bajablo (or i can supply mine) and look at the core zone of the cities... packed with R&D's, factories and farms here and there. Hardly any room to place the bigger (3x3) stores in those zones. Another thing is all those buildings have destroyed alot of houses.

If you guys feel like looking into this, i can start a poll to see what the other players here think of this :)
Boruta

Post by Boruta »

AI building factories, farms and R&D's in the smack center of the city really ruins the game but more importantly it prevents the player and AI alike to find suitable space for retail.
City Builder
Level 5 user

Post by City Builder »

Yes, I've just seen this happen in my current game, one of the AI has her own little city going over to the side of the map.

I did manage to find a little space to put a convenience store at an outrageous price tag to build it there just to see if I could turn a profit in "her town".

Personally I don't mind them doing this, however I absolutely HATE the AI that buys up land in the center of town and then never uses it, and all it's doing is taking up space that the other AI or the player might use for retail outlets. I just wrote a topic on this before finding this topic asking that this sort of behavior gets toned down a bit.

I too think it very odd that they put factories in the middle of town, and farms etc when it would be best served for retail, commercial and or apartment living.

I certainly wouldn't want to build an apartment building next door to some stinky chicken farm and I think most people wouldn't want to live next door to all that clucking, and stink, so kind of kills the land around them to a certain degree.
David

Post by David »

In the latest version, AI may sell land plots after closing down firms or when it is short on cash. You may see more land plots available for purchase at CBD.
Dordanov
Level 2 user

Post by Dordanov »

I'm curious to learn why the AI even builds buildings other than retail outlets inside the CBD.

I have always built all my Factories, R&D Centers and Farms outside of the (populate) city areas. The land is much cheaper (especially in Cap Lap, in Cap 2 the land values were much lower) and it's easier to find a specific firm you are looking for if you group them by (semi-)product(range)s.

This is still the way I build in Cap Lab, but I do try to minimise the distance of factories to my retail stores to keep the freight costs as low as possible ofcourse.

The AI however just clutters up the city (center) with every type of firm they build. Is there a specific reason they do this? Does it increase the (land) value of appartments/commercial buildings near them? Does it lower operating costs? Does it attract more trafiic for Retail outlets that are near? does it affect (un)employment in any way? It just seems more realistic to if industry were to be clustered in the outskirts of cities, and Farms were placed even more out in the open.

I'm pretty new to all the introduced city and economy changes and additions currently in Cap Lab, and don't know all the new possibilities and functions linked to the location of firms, so can someone please enlighten me?