movie studios and TV networks

Suggestions for new DLC projects.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: movie studios and TV networks

Post by David »

WilliamMGary wrote:David,

What about an in-game interface where the human player can create a new show provide a title, a brief desc and cover art and make it playable in the game and accessible to the AI?
What attributes would you like to see for a TV show?
-Title
-Brief description
-Cover art
-Genre?
-Any other attributes that you can think of?
David

Post by David »

I have forwarded your ideas to the dev team and they are concerned that gameplay-wise, it may be too easy for a player to monopolize the TV industry if the player uses a strategy like the following:

-build as many TV studios as you can afford and produce a larger number of TV shows than your competitors.
-supply these TV shows to your TV network.
-your TV network's content quality is going to the highest among the competition thanks to the supply of quality TV shows.
-as a result, its audience rating is going to the highest as well.
-a high audience rating leads to high advertising incomes, which allows you to invest even more in producing quality TV shows.
-competitors will thus have an even harder time catching up.

So whoever makes the first move and backs it up with a huge budget is going to dominate the TV industry and there isn't any viable ways for competitors dethrone it.

While it may also be true in the real world, from a gameplay point of view, it is not very good as it means that there is a very specific path to victory and if the player follows that path, it will almost guarantee winning. This type of gameplay at the end will be criticized by gamers as being repetitive and not varied/challenging enough.

Any suggestions of potential solutions to the above?
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David wrote:
WilliamMGary wrote:David,

What about an in-game interface where the human player can create a new show provide a title, a brief desc and cover art and make it playable in the game and accessible to the AI?
What attributes would you like to see for a TV show?
-Title
-Brief description
-Cover art
-Genre?
-Any other attributes that you can think of?
Content Quality (of course)
Audience Target (would be interesting but not really necessary those with the coveted audience can charger higher advertising rates)
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David wrote:I have forwarded your ideas to the dev team and they are concerned that gameplay-wCC

-build as many TV studios as you can afford and produce a larger number of TV shows than your competitors.
-supply these TV shows to your TV network.
-your TV network's content quality is going to the highest among the competition thanks to the supply of quality TV shows.
-as a result, its audience rating is going to the highest as well.
-a high audience rating leads to high advertising incomes, which allows you to invest even more in producing quality TV shows.
-competitors will thus have an even harder time catching up.

So whoever makes the first move and backs it up with a huge budget is going to dominate the TV industry and there isn't any viable ways for competitors dethrone it.

While it may also be true in the real world, from a gameplay point of view, it is not very good as it means that there is a very specific path to victory and if the player follows that path, it will almost guarantee winning. This type of gameplay at the end will be criticized by gamers as being repetitive and not varied/challenging enough.

Any suggestions of potential solutions to the above?
Hehe let me take a stab at this :-)
Juan Perez, Miami-Dade’s newly appointed police director, told the Herald in a statement that the department would investigate the incident “once the officer and citizen are identified. The appropriate course of action will be taken at that point.”
In a recent Beta I was able to have a majority (not monopoly) of the media market by simply consistently funding content development it was super easy, however, expensive. Even with a market share advantage there was customers for the other media firms because in order to achieve 100 brand you have to advertise on all media. Besides there's industries currently in game that is very easy to monopolize.
build as many TV studios as you can afford and produce a larger number of TV shows than your competitors.
A while ago in the forum someone mentioned that there's no need to own more than one media firm per city, in the current form I've found that to be very true. The cost of operating and funding the requirements are tremendous, in addition the AI and Government AI could always build media firms and operate them so while this is a "possibility" I think it can be balanced out. Also the goal is to limit the TV stations to 3 shows max each so that the current media mechs can remain.
your TV network's content quality is going to the highest among the competition thanks to the supply of quality TV shows.
There's two businesses here we can have a "TV Studio" which the is just like an R&D focused company who makes money simply licensing TV shows, if the AI is able use these feature there should be an ample supply of TV shows and sufficient competition in the Media Space.
as a result, its audience rating is going to the highest as well.
I think the TV shows/Radio programming (see how I throw in a new feature lol) could have a certain % affect and use the current mechs for the rest. So the quality of the TV Show/Radio programming quality can increase audience by rating by 25% etc. This is something the devs has the power to solve, however, I did provide a suggestion within this answer.
a high audience rating leads to high advertising incomes, which allows you to invest even more in producing quality TV shows.
See previous answer and suggestion for Target Audience in my previous reply.
competitors will thus have an even harder time catching up.
The AI is pretty competent depending on their business financials and operations.
Rusty Gamer
Level 2 user

Post by Rusty Gamer »

Sounds like this is getting close to my dream game of creating a television empire. Maybe Capitalism Lab is the vehicle to do it in. :)
David

Post by David »

Rusty Gamer wrote:Sounds like this is getting close to my dream game of creating a television empire. Maybe Capitalism Lab is the vehicle to do it in. :)
The ideas discussed in this thread are pretty sound. But the biggest obstacle to actually getting them implemented is the lack of new TV content in the game that player can associate with. If we just come up with made-up TV content with made-up names and images, they will never be compelling enough and the content may look dry compared to their real-life counterparts.

Any suggestions?
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:
Rusty Gamer wrote:Sounds like this is getting close to my dream game of creating a television empire. Maybe Capitalism Lab is the vehicle to do it in. :)
The ideas discussed in this thread are pretty sound. But the biggest obstacle to actually getting them implemented is the lack of new TV content in the game that player can associate with. If we just come up with made-up TV content with made-up names and images, they will never be compelling enough and the content may look dry compared to their real-life counterparts.

Any suggestions?
Perhaps we should just set tv programs as more abstract genres than actual individual shows for the basic "competition units", and each genre will have limit "audience range", and we don't have to provide the detail contents, just the default genre name, allowing modder to design their own content image, or like customized product, easy switch of different shows' representative images.

Genre list is quite limited, so they would be easy to listed, but their combinations can provide the needed "diversities".
http://www.imdb.com/genre/
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
David

Post by David »

Perhaps we should just set tv programs as more abstract genres than actual individual shows for the basic "competition units", and each genre will have limit "audience range", and we don't have to provide the detail contents, just the default genre name, allowing modder to design their own content image, or like customized product, easy switch of different shows' representative images.

Genre list is quite limited, so they would be easy to listed, but their combinations can provide the needed "diversities".
This is an interesting idea. Did you mean we could just name a TV series like "Action Drama 1" as a template which could be replaced by modders?
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:

This is an interesting idea. Did you mean we could just name a TV series like "Action Drama 1" as a template which could be replaced by modders?
Yes, even in-game custom name/icons like custom products that players can edit easily. However the core genre will has its own core audiences reach which might change over time. How well and how many genres can be mixed into a "program" can be determined by "media R&D". Like we see more and more tv shows nowadays mixed many more genres. And new genres might arise or faded over time (like western is going weaker to nearly non-existence today, and sci-fi keeps going stronger over time, etc.)
Last edited by eleaza on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
David

Post by David »

If we could flesh out the implementation details of this, it could potentially be a promising candidate for the next DLC project after the Digital Age DLC.

Personally, I think it has a much stronger appeal than the Financial DLC. i.e. more gamers are going to be excited by a DLC centering around movie studios and TV networks, then a Financial DLC that lets the player operate a bank whose gameplay viability is in question.

What do you guys think?