A Couple of Questions

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
jones45

A Couple of Questions

Post by jones45 »

I´m someone somewhat new to the game series, trying understand the most important aspects of the mechanics. Can someone shed light on the following for me:

-Why sometimes a product´s revenue per retail store gradually lowers in relation to the number of stores you are selling that product in a city. I.e the product sells the best in the first retail store, in the second somewhat less and so on. In my quick testing the 6th or 7th store´s revenue of the tested product was only about 50% of the first one. I made sure all of the retail stores were in similar value of land.

On the other hand, sometimes the revenue per product stays just about the same. At least with up to 7-8 retails stores, didn´t use more than that in my testing period.

It´s a huge factor when deciding what markets to go after whether you can sell the product in many stores, or just in a couple.

- Does tech level after 100 affect the product quality? In my experience no but it´s difficult for me to understand why I have often came across people speaking about much higher tech levels than that. I get fighting against tech disruption but do you need a ridicilous amount of tech for that? Also I would understand wanting to sell the tech but I´ve understood that there aren´t great profits to be made from that. So why go way past the top tech?
Njeroe
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Re: A Couple of Questions

Post by Njeroe »

jones45 wrote:I´m someone somewhat new to the game series, trying understand the most important aspects of the mechanics. Can someone shed light on the following for me:

1 -Why sometimes a product´s revenue per retail store gradually lowers in relation to the number of stores you are selling that product in a city. I.e the product sells the best in the first retail store, in the second somewhat less and so on. In my quick testing the 6th or 7th store´s revenue of the tested product was only about 50% of the first one. I made sure all of the retail stores were in similar value of land.

On the other hand, sometimes the revenue per product stays just about the same. At least with up to 7-8 retails stores, didn´t use more than that in my testing period.

It´s a huge factor when deciding what markets to go after whether you can sell the product in many stores, or just in a couple.

2 - Does tech level after 100 affect the product quality? In my experience no but it´s difficult for me to understand why I have often came across people speaking about much higher tech levels than that. I get fighting against tech disruption but do you need a ridicilous amount of tech for that? Also I would understand wanting to sell the tech but I´ve understood that there aren´t great profits to be made from that. So why go way past the top tech?
Maybe a bit late but to answer both your questions:

1. In my experience more stores means more market saturation, if your market share is 100% you can try to open more stores but you probably won't sell more products. Also make sure your supply is enough to meet your demand this can happen when suddenly opening more stores that your factories cant produce enough to meet the demand. If your market share isn't yet 100% it means your overall rating isn't good enough for some people to consider buying your items. It can still be higher then average but not everyone wants the most expensive highest quality product. (Example: not everyone buys Nike shoes some choose the cheaper option even if its less quality).

2. Definitely after 100 your quality is scaling to the top technology. For example if you have 200 quality and that is the top tech and your competitor has 100 quality his one is 50/100 and yours is 100/100. If quality in your factory determines 80 quality points and the raw resources 20 you get a product with 100 quality if resources are 20/20 and your competitor only 60. Note that production quality is only part of the overall product quality some products are more dependant on this then others.
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Re: A Couple of Questions

Post by bdubbs »

jones45 wrote:I´m someone somewhat new to the game series, trying understand the most important aspects of the mechanics. Can someone shed light on the following for me:

-Why sometimes a product´s revenue per retail store gradually lowers in relation to the number of stores you are selling that product in a city. I.e the product sells the best in the first retail store, in the second somewhat less and so on. In my quick testing the 6th or 7th store´s revenue of the tested product was only about 50% of the first one. I made sure all of the retail stores were in similar value of land.

- Does tech level after 100 affect the product quality? In my experience no but it´s difficult for me to understand why I have often came across people speaking about much higher tech levels than that. I get fighting against tech disruption but do you need a ridicilous amount of tech for that? Also I would understand wanting to sell the tech but I´ve understood that there aren´t great profits to be made from that. So why go way past the top tech?
1) How much retail you need for a specific product is largely based on supply / demand. From the product details screen you can see how many units for the product each city demands. You also have to keep the level of your SBU's. If you're training your employees and your purchasing / sales units are leveling up they are capable of selling much greater volume than a level 1 SBU.

When you're selling a product in multiple stores you also have to accept that you're cannibalizing your own sales to an extent unless demand for the product is significantly higher than what is currently being sold.

Something else it could be is supply of the product. If you're retailing a seaport good and you see the demand for the product is maxed and the supply bar is at less than max its going to hurt the effectiveness of your purchasing units.

2) Research is tied to the leader, not based on a 100 scale. Once a company has over 100 tech in a product then competing companies' tech level contribution to manufacturing is based on how they compare to the leader. I don't know the actual math, but if you have 100 quality in a product and someone surpasses you then you will lose tech quality bonuses. So by continuing to research past 100 you are discouraging competition in manufacturing because your quality will be significantly better than a competitor with substantially lower tech. This is more prominent in products where tech is more important than component quality