Difference between General Store and Department store

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
msuddd1

Difference between General Store and Department store

Post by msuddd1 »

I may be being rather stupid here ... but could anyone tell me why I would ever go for a department store if the general store is cheaper and can house more product types?
TheDiaz

Re: Difference between General Store and Department store

Post by TheDiaz »

Because gthe more specialized a store is the more people it attracts. General stores have less clients than a department store and even less than a specialized store.
msuddd1

Post by msuddd1 »

Do you mean that it can service less customers, or that it actually attracts less than a department store?
TheDiaz

Post by TheDiaz »

Attraction. How much clients it can serve is based on how much the store can stock on products (At least, that's what I've notices). Specialized stores have a bonus when attracting costumers.
geek180
Level 2 user

Post by geek180 »

The general store has lower startup and operating costs, but isn't able to move as many units. It's a cheap way to get started. It was introduced along with CES because it was realized when starting a city from scratch, demand for goods will be low and they needed a cheaper store that could sell any item without incurring high overhead.

I havent really found a need for the general store in a pre-built city, unless I didn't do so well in my advanced stock-purchase phase and need to save capital.
DB89

Post by DB89 »

Is there any different specialty bonus? I thought department stores just have greater throughput (like 2.5-3x to make up for size).

Besides selling in small towns, general stores make for great advertising offices. I usually have one in each city for that reason, if I'm not doing corporate brand.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Please see this article for more info about specialty stores: https://www.capitalismlab.com/new-conte ... hancement/

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:49 pm.